Why assets monitoring?
TECHNICAL CONSTRAINTS / TECHNICAL WEAKNESSES
- Networks become more complex – renewables, fluctuating generation
- Bi-directional power/load flow
- More operations and stress on equipment: switching, overloads, harmonics
- The infrastructure is aging, impact of new conditions on equipment is unknown
- Environmental events are worsening (global warming)
EVOLUTION OF INDUSTRY GOOD PRACTICES
- Digitalization, INDUSTRY 4.0 or SMART GRID
- High availability and quality requests for the electricity supply (High risk of huge penalty for utilities and risk of financial losses for industrial customer in case of breakdown)
- Higher requirements for security and safety
There are 5 to 10 arc flash explosions in electrical equipment every day in the USA
Source: NFPA 2015 report
What are the main failures?
INCREASE OF THE TEMPERATURE
- Connection faults
DEGRADATION OF THE INSULATION
- Superficial Partial Discharge (PD)
- Internal PD
- Corona PD
Continuous Rising of temperature on critical points and Partial discharges represents 70% of failures!
What are the benefits of an asset monitoring?
The United States Department of Energy found that 75% of breakdowns are eliminated by energy companies that use asset monitoring solutions enabling access to predictive maintenances / condition base monitoring (CBM).
Asset Monitoring solution for predictive maintenance in the energy Markets provides:
- Savings of 12% on planned repairs
- Maintenance costs reduced by 30%
- Unplanned downtime reduced by 75%
MV switchgears instrumented with:
- Wireless battery-less temperature sensors
- High-performance UHF probes
- Environmental temperature & humidity sensor
- Modular IoT platform for data acquisition, analysis & connectivity